Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the "test"

Tomorrow I should get the results of the "test” (oncotype DX assay).

It’s funny not having a clue as to how it will come out. The way I see it, I have a 50/50 chance of being in the low risk group and will not need chemotherapy. I read over and over my pathology reports. There are favorable signs – the cancers are estrogen and progesterone responsive, the Ki-67 marker is less than 10%, the S-phase is low. Actually, the only unfavorable sign is the HER2 positive result. And the fact that there were 2 separate cancers in my breast worries me.

But the result of this test will determine the next year of my life, at least. And how I know and trust my body.

I feel like I did before I knew the results of the MRI-guided biopsy that determined whether the “something” that they saw was cancer or not. I was so hoping for it to be nothing because I did not want to lose my breast.

For now, I am thinking positive. Yesterday I had my last injection of “new breast”, and Dr. Lickstein says that I can plan on implant surgery in 3-4 weeks. I’m actually looking forward to surgery! My expander now is every bit as big as my native breast, and I am confident that Dr. L will put me back together well.

And, since John has been laid off, we have decided to make lemonade and go on a 1 month road trip to the Southwest. Just forget everything and go away for awhile. There’s something healing about that for us.