Monday, March 10, 2008

surgery jitters and more drugs

The woman before me in exercise class this morning was tall and thin. She used the high step and kept up well with the instructor, so she was easy for me to follow as well. When I looked at her in the mirror, though, I noticed that she had very high (and large and round) breasts. She wore a low top, and at times her breasts looked like they were going to jump out!

My gosh. Why do women do this? And yet here I am, 2 days away from “doing it”! I called my plastic surgeon’s office this afternoon and spoke to Leah again. I won’t end up like this, will I? I mean, I’m almost 60 years old, and breasts like that would make me look like a freak. Leah assured me that Dr. L knew what I was expecting from the reconstruction surgery, and that I would not end up with such exaggerated breasts.

Last minute jitters, I guess. I am nervous about the surgery – more about the anesthesia than everything else, though.

I saw my oncologist today and complained to her about the femara. The hot flashes are so pronounced through the night that I don’t get a lot of sleep, and end up very tired most of the time. Along with my bones and joints aching more, I’m pretty cranky. She suggested an antidepressant – Effixor – says that it will relieve much of the night sweating and help me to sleep better.

I’ve never taken an anti-depressant before. Even though I have my moments of feeling “down”, I’ve never considered myself to be clinically depressed. And I’m hesitant to take yet another drug to cover the side effects of a drug.

Anyway, we’ll see. I’m going to get through this next surgery, with all the pain pills and antibiotics that go with it, before I consider taking another drug.